Don’t over improve! That is the cardinal rule of home renovations that are undertaken when planning on selling. You want to be able to recoup your costs and simple improvements are the best best!
- Mini Bathroom Remodel. You don’t necessarily need to do a complete remodel to make a difference when selling. Here are a few things which will make you some more money:
- Replace the caulking around the bathtub. Repair any tiles that are broken.
- Re-glaze the tub.
- Remove dated wall coverings and repaint.
- Update the faucets and knobs.
- Remove old shower doors or replace.
- Get new shower curtains, rugs and towels.
- It is not too expensive to change out your sink and vanity if it is in really bad condition, especially if you do it yourself.
- Landscaping can add significant returns when selling, but only when you don’t spend too much. If your grass is brown and dried out, you can replace it with sod for about $1500 depending on the size of your yard. Replace or trim overgrown shubbery, fill in with flowering plants, if the weather allows. Think about the color scheme in your flowers! Don’t get a trillion different colors! Put down mulch and pull the weeds. Fix a broken fence or remove it. For an inexpensive way to get more plants, ask neighbors or family members if they have any perrenials they can divide and donate.
- Kitchen Remodel You don’t need to break the bank to improve the look of your kitchen, but depending on the state of the room and the cost of your house, some investment might bring you a good return. You can replace old, laminated countertops pretty easily. You can use granite, but there are other surfaces that are less expensive and give the room an upscale look, such as Silestone. A new floor might spruce up the place-bamboo or cork can be an inexpensive and clean-looking option. Replacing all the cabinet door handles can really change the look of the kitchen. Painting the cabinets is sometimes an option, but you might want to hire a professional painter who knows what they are doing. Or not!
- Exterior Painting the entry door a warm, cheery color is always a good idea, get a new doormat and paint the window trim. If your steps are damaged, fix them and remove any railings that are not strong. Clean the gutters. Broken windows must be replaced.
- Paint! A fresh coat of paint always makes a home look cleaner and cheerier.
- If you are handy, you can add Crown Molding very inexpensively. This gives a finished look to any room.
These 6 repairs will help present your home or condo in the best possible light to future buyers with a minimal amount of cost compared to a full renovation.