Every seller wants their home to sell fast and bring top dollar. It’s not luck that makes that happen. It’s careful planning and knowing how to spruce up your home (and having a good Realtor!) A prepared house or condo will send buyers running for their checkbooks!
Here are 7 important things to do NOW to prep your house or condo and turn it into an irresistible and marketable home for the spring market.
- De-Clutter! The most important and time consuming task is de-cluttering. Take a look around your home or condo through a buyer’s eyes and start boxing things up, removing personal items and donating to worthy charities. Clean off the kitchen counter, get rid of crock pots and coffee machines you don’t need, organize your closets. You will be amazed at what a difference a serious de-cluttering can make. It is a process, especially if you have lived there a long time, so get started as soon as possible. It always takes longer than you think.
- Do a little Staging yourself or hire a Professional Stager. A professional stager can really make your property more marketable. Many stagers can use your own furniture and help you de-clutter as well. If you are doing it yourself:
- Try to make things as neutral as possible. Paint the walls a grey, beige or off-white, if possible. A new coat of paint in the interior adds definite value and makes things look newer and cleaner.
- Remove some furniture if rooms are too busy (you can get a short term storage locker if needed).
- Remove most knickknacks.
- Remove and replace items that you are planning to take with you such as chandeliers or TV fixtures so buyers will not expect them to come with the house.
- Make Minor Repairs Repair leaky faucets, spackle and paint walls, replace cracked tiles, replace bathtub caulking, fix doors and windows that don’t close, remove threadbare rugs. Consider having a Home Inspection to find anything big that you might want to fix during the sale, such as roof leaks and faulty electrical systems. Sometimes fixing these problems beforehand will get you a much better price in the long run. Ask your Realtor about what fixes will make a difference to your return on investment.
- Clean like you’ve never Cleaned before!
- You might want to hire a professional for one big, thorough cleaning…
- If not, dust your ceilings and ceiling fans.
- Rent a power washer and power wash the exterior.
- Hang up fresh towels.
- Get a new bathmat and shower curtain.
- Polish the wood floors.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Clean carpeting.
- Wash baseboards and light fixtures.
- Clean refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean and organize the garage, if you have one.
- Spruce up the Curb Appeal
- Put out a few pots of flowers or plant some new ones to brighten up the outdoors.
- Plant some new grass in brown areas. Mow the lawn. Trim your bushes.
- Fix any broken steps or cracked sidewalks.
- Paint the window trim.
- Repair any broken windows or screens.
- In the winter shovel your walk well and your driveway, if you haven’t already. Make a snowman!
- Buy a new welcome mat! Maybe paint the front door!
And lastly, consider calling Carey to give you a professional opinion on what improvements you will need. She is also happy to give you a free, no obligation home valuation, so you know what your home will bring with and without improvements. Call Carey at 617-791-4882
Inventory is very tight! Click here to learn what the impact of low inventory is on the housing market.
An article by Carey Gatto about the importance of long term relationships in her business. It’s the people that count!
Feel free to set up a search on our website so you can get a feeling for the market in your area. www.cgpropertieskw.com